A new “express” bus service now links Südkreuz train station in Berlin with Schönefeld Airport. Price: 6 euros, 4 euros with any BVG ticket, 3 euros with a weekly or monthly ticket. For those flying into Berlin, the ticket remains valid for further transit on public transportation in Berlin ABC.
This bus represents no monetary savings to Shoestring travelers.
- Berliners with a regular AB ticket need only purchase an “Anschlussticket” for 1.40 euros to take the RE train, the S-Bahn or a BVG bus to the airport.
- Visitors coming into town for a few days will most certainly be better off purchasing a 2-, 3- or 5-day tourist card or a weekly ticket and traveling by one of the aforementioned methods.
- If you’re still weighing your options, a single Berlin ABC ticket will get you into town and beyond for just 2.80 euros!
I’m posting about the service nevertheless, as you may find that it will save you transit time, depending on where you are staying/living. For less than 2 euros more (with my monthly ticket), I may cut up to 30 minutes off my route to the airport — and that’s something worth writing about!
- Additional Travel Time and Cost to Low-Cost Carrier Airports, Part I
- Picks and Pans: From Low-Cost Airports
- More Tips for Low-Cost Fliers